How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

The father of my grandchildren, then aged 4 and 2, left my

This answer was rated:

The father of my grandchildren, then aged 4 and 2, left my daughter to live with a work colleague, nine months ago. They are not married Since he will only communicate with my daughter by email and usually with bullying tone. Can he' cherry pick' his access to the children? He has not supplied my daughter with his new address and has gone for long periods without demanding access.

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-Are there any court orders in place, if so what?

-What have the arrangements been to date and when did he last see the children?

-Is he named on the birth certificate?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No court orders
He last saw children nine weeks ago.
Yes, he is named on birth certificate

Thanks for confirming. Despite his irregular contact he has parental responsibility by being named on the birth certificate and this entitles him to be consulted and informed of major decisions regarding the children's upbringing.

In relation to contact arrangements, the children have a right to a relationship with him however, it is not in their interests for this to be at his demands and there should be a regular and consistent arrangement whereby they are able to develop their relationship. The mother would be best advised to attempt to agree a formal arrangement and if there are child protection or welfare concerns she is entitled to prevent any contact arrangements.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Harris and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you