How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71158
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I don't know if you can help me? I was released from Prison

This answer was rated:

Hello, I don't know if you can help me? I was released from Prison on 11th August after completing my sentence . I am monitored by the PPU Public Protection Unit. However I have just moved into a permanent address in a different area and today two new officers visited me. They asked me a lot of questions etc but asked to check my computer . I agreed but the device did't work .This was purely voluntary however I felt compelled to allow it. They asked if I would be prepared to have adeice loaded whereby they can monitor my internet usage. I am very woried that if I deney them to check my computer it will aggravate my freedom. Please tell me if I am protected under the Data protection act as I am not on any licence only the sex offenders register.

Are they going to find anything?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No but I am concerned that they might put something there when they check?

Well, as they say, it is voluntary. You don't have to agree therefore. Obviously teh refusal to do so may well affect their attitude towards you and their willingness to spend resources upon you. Generally that is a bad thing.

I wouldn't suggest aggravating them if I were you.

Can I clarify for you?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you can clarify but I am still concerned that they are not like my other ppu officers who gave me confidence that they were there to help .I FEEL VERY VULNERABLE

Ok. So what is your question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are there any laws to protect me under the data protection act and if there are can you quote them to me?

No, because the DPA doesn't apply as this is the detection of crime.

It is as I've said above.

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you