How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12088
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I'm in a very difficult situation, I've recently found out

Customer Question

Hello,my name is***** in a very difficult situation, I've recently found out that my daughter that I have helped bring up for 18 years isn't mine. Me and my ex-partner split 15 years ago when she was 3 years old,and I've always paid my way. Recently my ex contacted the Child Maintainance Service and this prompted me to have a DNA test because I've always had my doubts wether she was my daughter. I've been to see a solicitor and they said I've got a case on the grounds of deceit but I can not afford the £178 an hour their asking for. I really want to proceed in suing my ex as she has ruined my life and continues to do so. Please can you help. Regards Paul
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Can you tell me: is your ex worth suing? Does she have money or assets that you know of? Are you still intending to see your daughter, I presume you still treat her as your daughter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has no assets that I know of,and I'm still seeing and treating her as my daughter.
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

If your ex has no assets it's not worth suing her as even if you prove she deceived you and the court awards you compensation she'll never be able to pay it. There would be no purpose in you paying to sue someone has no money. I think you have to put this behind you, hard as it is, and continue to love and support you daughter. Happy to discuss. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.