How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

If an individual via written word and admitted verbal

Customer Question

If an individual via written word and admitted verbal repetition of unfounded allegations about a person via personal and also using their employment as a forum (in this case a landlord of a pub owned by Marston's PLC) has slandered your name in the community with a direct effect on your reputation, health, well being, safety, ability to perform your volunteerism in the community and potential future employment along with causing a community event to be cancelled, potential lost revenue for local registered charity, and a direct effect on the volunteer work of yourselves and others and also affect to your family is there any recourse? Can I claim against individual and company he used as his forum and any monetary compensation received be put back directly into the community event, work in the community, donated to local charities and also a public apology and correction of the false information he has shared?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been Volunteering since the beginning of July as a Founding Member and Neighbourhood Lead for a private free online social media neighbourhood site that was in its beta trial version in the UK until 14 September 2016 when it Nationally Launched. The company is Nextdoor. Here in the UK it is and in the USA where it was founded it is I am wanting to make this claim as an individual though. It is through my work and making myself available in the neighbourhood and working with other volunteers and the local council and other entities that my reputation has been slandered. It has had a direct effect on a Neighbourhood Celebration volunteers were hosting on 17 Sept. One of the main main venues in the neighbourhood where this was planned was The Foresters Arms which is owned by the Marston's PLC Brewery. They pulled out the morning before causing the event to have to be cancelled. Local Beverley FM live radio interview scheduled for a few hours from the notification of this was cancelled. All of the time, effort and personal funds invested into this event by neighbours and volunteers has been wasted. The person in question also sent out information on social media without our knowledge or permission about them not allowing us to use their venue. This is not only bad business practice but it is not community minded.The effects of what is being said about myself personally is devastating on a personal level and due to this the effects of my reputation that is now mud in the neighbourhood has affected everything. Aside from the volunteering which I may now not be able to do it has effected the chances of me pursuing paid employment. I am in a situation I am afraid to go out of my house. I have had two nights of abuse outside my house and my house being used for target practice by what appears to be a bb gun or alike shot from the window across at the pub opposite me and in question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also sent a letter via Resolver on the internet to Marston's PLC to make them aware of the correspondence received.
This was prior to the effects on all the prior things mentioned coming to light.
The reference number with Resolver is RES481362
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In addition to the above but directly related:
(1) If I know the individual who initially started the rumours and gossip that were untrue, do I have recourse on them?
(2) If I have been receiving information about people using this slanderous and untrue information and posting in closed Facebook Group's and in private messages about it and repeating it and adding to the slander, is there any recourse?
(3) Monetary compensation does not fix my reputation or stop rumours. How can I resolve this and restore my reputation and character?
(4) If monetary compensation is offered, after covering my legal fees ie fees to yourselves can I use or request this money is paid to the neighbourhood community group I am volunteering in for the benefit of the neighbourhood and to assist in restoring the confidence of members and organisations involved, rescheduling and executing the neighbourhood event that was cancelled and for future activities that directly benefit my neighbours and fellow volunteers who have worked tirelessly and invested not only their time but personal funds into the neighbourhood for this past and future events? I personally paid for the cost of all promotional materials, printing, advertising etc and other resources that cannot be reused due to the date on them or the name and location and participating venue we had booked.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

What is the defamation please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Stating in writing and repeating in writing and verbally to others and myself that I have been charged three times with Harrassment. Stating other comments about my character that are untrue. Also making claims to others that my Volunteer work rewards me financially and that I am giving these rewards to a Charity which would not be a bad thing but untrue as I have said any benefits financially I received for actual work I had done for an Amassador Program for a company I would give to my neighbourhood to help fund a neighbourhood event.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Is it untrue that you have previously been charged with harassment?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is untrue. Never charged, cautioned etc. I have never had a speeding ticket, parking ticket or anything my whole life in the UK.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

OK. Does this person have any money?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am unsure how that is relevant to my name being slandered and defamation of my character. I do not know their financial situation. The person who has initiated this in writing to me, others and verbally in the Community is one of the Landlords of a Local Pub, The Foresters Arms which is owned by Marston's PLC. He has associated the pub to this and has been using this as his personal forum within the Community. The statements and acts of this one person has snowballed throughout the community, neighbourhood and has been posted on social media sites and in electronic messages as a result. As mentioned in my initial information not only has this destroyed my reputation it prevented the execution of a neighbourhood event and potential funds for a local charity. We have been harassed verbally by his patrons as the pub is opposite my house and we had a weekend of the house being shot at with air rifle pellets/BB guns.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Would it be possible to give me the information I asked for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What information is it I have not provided?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

I need to know whether this person has the money to pay ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe I have answered this question in depth above, and with all due respect how am I meant to know the bank balance or resources of an individual? I would assume that the company he is representing for an employed through, or whatever agreement Landlords have with Breweries for living and running a pub, Marsten's Plc, have money.I also mentioned above in my initial and previous follow ups of information provided that there is no amount of money that is going to repair the damage done to my name, character, volunteer work, potential salaried work, opportunities now or in the future with either.I would like to know if what they have and are continuing to do is Slander, Defamation and if it is a criminal and civil act and if there is anything to do to stop it and make them publicly amend what they have been saying with the truth. I am afraid to leave my house; this is in part due to what everyone is now thinking of me, and saying about me as this has all been repeated on Facebook etc and verbally to others, and my safety is a concern as we have already had large groups of people yelling at us outside our house and the house has been used on two separate nights for target practice with a BB Gun or Air Rifle or something similar.If you could please advise me of my rights, recourse, and if what they are doing is allowed. Is it a civil or criminal matter I would be grateful.Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You obviously can't help me or have not read my answers. Since no service has been provided please cancel my account with you.
I have closed my Gmail email account due to the Harrassment so any correspondence needs to go to***@******.***.
I trust this will be taken care of and as my cancellation us within the seven day free trial there will be no charges to my card.
Thank you
Lynne ****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correction Lynne ****