How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My ex-partner has entered my house, he is not named on the

This answer was rated:

my ex-partner has entered my house, he is not named on the mortgage, and removed furniture and light fittings. Plus our sons cotbed and furniture from his room. He was given permission to enter the garage only to remove items from there only. He did this whilst I was out of the country. What is my position. Thanks

Hi, thank you foe your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-Are you in England or Wales?

-Are/were you married?

-Who gave permission and was this under a court order?

-Were the items bought by him?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Am in England. Not married. No permission given, no court order. Items bought by him

Thanks for confirming. He would have committed a trespass by entering the property without your permission but if he took items that he bought and are his solely, then it will be difficult to attempt to pursue him for this.

I appreciate that this may not be the answer you would have hoped for but if you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.

Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Items were not solely his. i.e furniture, light fittings, childs bed. These are for use of the family.

Were they solely paid for and purchased by him?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No they were not and he took things that definitely did not belong to him.

Thanks for confirming. Firstly you should contact the police on their non-urgent line (101) as taking things that are not his and entering the home without your permission are criminal offences. If they cannot recover the items or assist, you should write a formal letter to him requesting their return by a certain date, after which you should pursue a court application to your local county court for the court to make an order - you can do this using form N1 and a £355 court fee.