How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50198
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I'm being sued by NPower. The dispute is about a final bill

This answer was rated:

I'm being sued by NPower. The dispute is about a final bill that was raised after I vacated the property for energy supplied from 2012 - 2015.
They are claiming that I owe them £4500 for energy used even though I have been paying their bills on time ever since we moved. The final amount is because they never had a meeting reading for when we moved in and has therefor been adjusted.
Is their some kind of 12month legal back date rule that come into play and do I stand a chance of fighting this things?

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Do you know whether the bills you were paying each month during this period, were based on estimated meter readings?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** to here what you have to say

No problem at all. Please can you provide the information requested so that I can look into this for you? Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the Electricity I'm now checking for the 4 years says estimated. But they have never called us or sent anyone round the check the metre.

OK thank you, ***** ***** it with me. I am in court for the remainder of today so will prepare my advice in a while and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Thank you.

Many thanks for your patience. there is a ‘back billing code’ which applies if you have not received a bill for over a year, in which case you may not be liable to pay your usage going back more than a year. The code can be found here:

You will see that you have an obligation to provide a meter reading when you move into a new property.

On the other hand, suppliers should try to ensure that they:

· try to read meters every year;

· use actual readings, to improve the accuracy of future bills

As to back billing it states:

“If your supplier is at fault and has not sent you an accurate bill that they should have sent you, they will not ask you to pay any extra for energy you used (and which you did not receive an accurate bill for) more than one year before they issued the bill.”

The issue is that this code will not necessarily be enforceable in court so to challenge them over this you need to go through their complaints department or raise a case with the Energy Ombudsman. Of course you may raise this as a defence with the court claim as well and the court will decide whether to take into account the code and how enforceable it would be in court.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think Ill write back saying I owe 1/3 of the money and see what they say. Thank you very much. How much would you charge to fill in the form and write this short defence for me?

I am afraid we are only a Q&A site so won't really be able to draft a defence for you, very sorry