How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6432
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I have a one office estate agency business in a small

Customer Question

I have a one office estate agency business in a small coastal town which I agreed to sell at the beginning of the year. I have provided him with interim and end of year accounts, I have instructed a commercial solicitor who has done preliminary work. My buyer has been stringing me along for seven months and I don't believe will purchase as he will not instruct his solicitor to proceed. During the time we have had the sale agreed I have lost my main member of staff of 5 years standing who was included in discussions as she was the potential manager but has left because of the uncertainty of the proposed sale. I have it in writing from the buyer that he has discussed his proposed purchase of my business with one of my main competitors which has gone all round the town and I am continually asked as to when I'm leaving. This has left it very difficult for me to get instructions and is obviously having a continuing negative effect on my business not to mention causing me much personal stress. Is it worth pursuing him for the damage he has done to my business or have I just been naive and this would be a waste of time. Thank you Daniel
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello Daniel my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

For now please let me know whether your buyer signing a non disclosure agreement before you started discussions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No he did not - I'm afraid it was all done on hand shakes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jamie I don't want a phone call please can you respond to my query either here or via email. Thank you Daniel
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Thats a problem then. Pursue him for what? He didnt do anything 'wrong'. There is no contract he breached.

If it went to Court a Judge will ask what was he bound by? You cant say a non disclosure agreement.
You can try and take him to Court but I dont think you would win. But I will outline the process for you.

You need to write and set out your losses and request compensation within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not compensate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No that's fine - I've been a trusting idiot - lots of them about I expect. Regards Daniel
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

All the best. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. Thank you in advance and good luck!