How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71057
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My partner has been charged with assault in a domestic

This answer was rated:

Hi my partner has been charged with assault in a domestic violence case involving his ex wife. How can we find a barrister who is experienced in this sort of case near where we live please?

Is this a common assault?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Battery (5 charges)

That is fairly standard work.

Any specialist criminal practitioner will be experience in that type of work. This is a fairly bog standard trial for the junior bar.

The only issue is that your solicitor may or may not instruct a barrister. Sometimes they prefer to do the trial in house and also some Chambers are not covering Magistrates Court work all that much any more.

You do have the right to a barrister though so you can ask them to instruct one.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I should have said, because they are both in the military it will be a Court Martial
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure if this makes a difference?
But what I understand from what you are saying is that we should just find either a solicitor or barrister specialising in criminal law?


Where are you in barracks?

Haven't ALS suggested anybody? Normally this isn't left to the servicemen to sort out.

Yes, that does make a difference.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, they haven't. My partner is a senior officer in the RAF, we are not 'on base' as we live in our own home. I will ask him to contact them

It is a tri service system now and they should be instructing somebody on their lists. Usually though around an air base there are a number of firms that do that type of work. It is fair to say that it is more common with barracks basically because the Army is larger.

There are some chambers that specialise though. Try or

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Jo that's very helpful

no problem.

All the best.

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you