How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6756
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

My mother owns her house and is mortgage free. My brother

This answer was rated:

My mother owns her house and is mortgage free. My brother moved in 3 years ago and despite my mothers wishes refuses to leave. There is no tennancy contract between them what so ever and he does not pay rent. I would like to know what the legal position would be when the house is sold. As far as i can see he is not a sitting tennant or in possession of an ast so i would assume that when the sale conpletes he would be obliged to leave. Pleaae can someone confirm

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

How old is he please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. All she needs to go is give him written notice to leave. Then if he refuses she can just change the locks.

He is not a tenant, he has no right whatsoever to be there.

But she needs to give him notice first and then change the locks if he does not go.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thats great thanks. Is there any particular wording that should be used ans i assume it has to be in writing

No. Just words to the effect are that you have been staying here at my goodwill. You are given notice that you are required to move out by (28 days notice). Otherwise I will seek to evict you.

That is really it. Does that assist?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does. Lastly does the sale have to be at any particular stage before the notice can be issued or can it be at any point in time

Any time whenever is convenient

Does that help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
almost what happens with his possessions if the locks are changed?

She needs to keep them and give notice she will hold for 30 days.
He needs to collect during that period. After that period she can dispose of them

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
perfect thankyou very much indeed

If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. Thank you in advance and good luck!

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you