How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71147
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My friend told me that his wife assisted her father suicide.

This answer was rated:

my friend told me that his wife assisted her father suicide. He died several years ago. He had MS and she force fed him tablets to kill him. She then inherited over £1million. Apparently the GP knew. There was an inquest and the verdict was suicide I think. But now her husband tells me what really happened and I am wondering if he really wanted to die or maybe she wanted his money?Her sister and mother helped too. Then the mother killed herself by drowning due to her guilt maybe?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what I want to know is. Now that I know this, should I say anything? a crime is still a crime even though it was years ago. But would I have to give evidence? I know the family so I don't know what to do. But Im also a doctor so I just uphold the law. He's put me in a very difficult situation. If I say nothing now will I get into trouble if it came out later, though i think it is very unlikely that it would.

Why do you want to do anything at all about this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Because I want to make sure I do the right thing. And I don't think she did it to be compassionate as she gained financially. That's what her husband said. His MS was mild. It doesn't feel right.

I’m not sure what you want to achieve really.

You can make a report to the police. It is very unlikely they would be interested in truth. Quite apart from the fact that this is hearsay upon hearsay and therefore doubly inadmissible, they just would not investigate this matter because there has been a verdict by a competent Inquest of non suspicious death.

It is not really any more complicated than that. It is just not going to lead to any action I’m afraid.

I’m very sorry if that is bad news.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If someone tells you they've commited a crime, I wasn't sure if I had to report it or not. I was just shocked to know she could do that and I needed to make sure that i was doing the right thing by not saying anything. I dont want to be accused of knowing that someone had assisted another's suicide and not saying anything if it was going to get me into trouble. I am just covering myself so if anything should happen then I know I sought advice and did the right thing. Thank you. I feel relieved that I can just let it rest and I'm not doing anything illegal by doing so.

No, there is nothing that can be done to you.

In any event, she hasn't confessed. It is hearsay on hearsay.

Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you