How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6413
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

We moved out of our rented apartment on the 19th (2 days

This answer was rated:

We moved out of our rented apartment on the 19th (2 days ago) and on that day the landlord had her mother and brother come to do an inventory checkout rather than using the company who did the original inventory check-in.
Now they would like to arrange for the original company to come in, only the dates they want my wife and I are on holiday. In the mean time this means our deposit is locked up. Are we able to say no to the 2nd inventory as it was accepted by both parties that her mother+brother were completing this task?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

How much is your deposit please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jamie,
The deposit is £2,430.

Yes you can. They have one which was accepted.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The landlord's mother has so far refused to provide a copy of the inventory check-out that they completed. Does this pose additional problems?

no. They are in breach of the law. They must give it back within 14 days.

Does that clairfy?

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Perfect. Many thanks for your help.

If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. Thank you in advance and good luck!