How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

Have separated from my partner of 20 yrs, we have two

This answer was rated:

Have separated from my partner of 20 yrs, we have two children age 10 and 14. Living in rented accommodation which my partner pays rent instead of maintenance. I have contributed to the family household throughout our time together and saw none of the equity which was in our house that was sold 10 years ago. He co owns a property in Spain and Essex. I am being emotionally abused regarding finances and have been left to raise the children alone. Seeking advice if I have any rights . Many thanks .

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-Are you married?

-What are your respective incomes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His £50k +
Mine £5,000
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
01285 650 546

Thanks - are you/were you married to each other?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No . Never married

Thanks for confirming. How much is the rent that he pays instead of maintenance? Have there been any agreements regarding your contributions creating a share of the equity for the property?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The rent is £1000. We sold our house in 2006, with approx £100.000 equity which he took to invest in property with a business partner at that time and also to pay off debts he'd accrued. Nothing to do with me. I sold my own flat and put money into our joint mortgage sat that time so I feel I should be entitled to some of the equity that was made.

Was your name on the title of the property that was sold to fund his investment?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What has now happened to the £100,000?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You tell me ? Still waiting for the house he promised for myself and children.

Thanks for confirming. In the circumstances you should be entitled to a share of the equity from the sale of the home in accordance with your share as held on the title previously. You should formally write to request this payment from him and if he does not settle you will need to pursue a court application to your local county court using form N1 and a £355 court fee to seek the relevant share from the equity.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you