How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6734
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I have my car in a garage for general repair, they told me

This answer was rated:

I have my car in a garage for general repair, they told me that when they took it for a test drive, they had an accident, a lorry hit my car.
They said they will get it sorted.
But, I want to know, about compensation because of loss to the value of my car.
Also, I need my car because I go on holiday on Saturday and the registration is set for the car park, but if I drive it, can they deny any knowledge of damage?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is the loss in value please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would imagine that the loss could be £1000 -£1500

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That covers the compensation, but would I be o.k to drive the vehicle without possible loss of complaint, in other words, am I taking away the evidence, that they can say that ' The car was alright when it left here?

Yes it would be fine. You are not taking away evidence.

You are claiming for diminution in value.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
O.k, thank you for your advice.

If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. Thank you in advance and good luck!

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you