How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50157
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

If I have building work done on my house, am I entitled to a

This answer was rated:

If I have building work done on my house, am I entitled to a brreakdown of the costs

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today. What specific breakdown are you after, e.g. breakdown of material costs, labour, etc?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
material, labour and details of tasks

There is no formal obligation on a builder to issue you with a formal breakdown of costs. Even an invoice is not a requirement because these are only a legal obligation if one VAT registered party is trading with another VAT registered party. You can of course request a breakdown and try to negotiate with the builder to prepare one for you but if they refuse to do so then sadly you cannot take any formal steps to force them to issue it so you will have to rely on their agreement to do it. Only if there is a dispute and the matter goes to court, could they be forced to issue such a breakdown as part of the evidence a court may require to consider the claim in more detail.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you