How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71031
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I believe my ex-partner is having domestic abuse issues. I

Customer Question

I believe my ex-partner is having domestic abuse issues. I got the police involved today but because they contacted her and she said everything is fine, there was nothing they can do.I believe that in a one-to-one conversation she would admit to me what is going on. Is it illegal to record a phone conversation or in-person conversation without the other persons consent? From Googling (which I know is never a good way to get an answer), I believe it's not actually illegal to record a phone call etc without consent.However, that recording being used as evidence or then being used by police is then not really considered much use because you could be enticing them to answer in a certain way, asking them questions a certain way to make them answer in a way "you want to" etc.So whilst they may admit something, it essentially is a useless act, even if legal to do so.Would that be correct?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Why are you concerned about this?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Her situation not the [email protected]?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

General law?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, I'm concerned that there's domestic abuse about a person and that my children live with her.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Oh I see. If you're children love there then that is a reasonable concer. I wouldn't worry about her though. She is an adult. Of women choose to live with men who abuse them then that is a matter for them. It is dangerous to get involved with them because they always turn on you.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

On your primary point though, there's nothing to stop you recording her. It does offend the DPA but that wouldn't stop it being used in a criminal case.

However, they won't prosecute on the basis of her claims on tape alone. That isn't enough to meet the charging standard.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

You may be able to get an injunction from the family court although I don't do family.