Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor

I was driving on a dual carriageway following a car at a

I was driving on a dual carriageway following a car at a good distance behind in the inside lane. I was have a discussion with my passenger as another car overtook me. I probably wasn't concentrating but I indicated to overtake the car in front and ended up less than 1 metre from the rear bumper of the car that overtook me. All I can think is that I wasn't completely aware of the position of the car in front or that it had slowed down. I slowed a little and it increased speed a little, however I gueas i "tailgated" it for about 10-20 metres all told. This is totally out of character for me but now I am worried that someone may have had a dashcam and send any footage to the police. I have read some horror stories of dangerous driving. There was no accident of any kind and no police involvement or street cameras
I havent slept through worry of how this could be perceived

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What would you like to know about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am worried that this may have been caught on someone's dashboard camera and sent to the police. There were a few other cars behind me and of the car I overtook. I am not an aggressive driver but am worried that if the police get any footage at all then I may be prosecuted for dangerous driving when in reality it was a moments lapse of concentration as I was in a deep discussion with my wife who was my passenger
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have read a lot on the Internet about dashboard cameras in people's cars being used to prosecute other drivers

indeed. I myself have a dashboard camera.

This does not sound like dangerous driving. It is carless driving where your driving falls below the standard of a reasonable and competent driver, but it's not dangerous.

It's careless because you were not properly concentrating.

But I would not worry, this is not dangerous driving.

If the police have not contacted you, I really wouldn't worry. In reality nothing will come of it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. So to be clear, I didn't cause other drivers to brake sharply or swerve or take other evasive action. I should have been concentrating more for sure, but in reality I wasnt as I pulled out without checking that the car in front had moved further ahead of me, hence why I ended up no more than a metre from its rear and as we were both doing approx 70MPH, it took 10-20 metres I guess before that distance increased and in fact the car then pulled into the inside lane after overtaking a car and I then passed it in the outside lane. So I should just see this as careless driving rather than dangerous driving? I also drive a company car so the police would probably take a few weeks to find me as the fat is registered to my employer, not me

indeed. It's carless rather than dangerous even if anything comes of it.

Does that clairfy?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess I am a tad over thinking as recently I was booked for speeding at 35 in a 30 zone (it went from a 60 zone to a 30 zone) and this was simply because I wasn't concentrating. Do you think I am over reacting and over thinking this?

I do yes. Don't worry.

Does that help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** been most helpful