How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1431
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
Type Your Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

I have a 4 yr old girl and me and her daddy agreed to set

This answer was rated:

I have a 4 yr old girl and me and her daddy agreed to set days tues and thurs the week he doesn't have her at weekend then every other weekend but he's been letting her down on her days due with him also he's just paying money for her when ever he feels like it I just don't know what to do anymore it's hard as well as he doesn't have a place of his own so he's been having our daughter at his ex wife's which I am uncomfortable with as she's been there sometime and has actually said to my little girl that daddy is getting to old to be looking after you which she has come home and cried about it so what can I do?


Welcome to Just Answer

I am a Solicitor and will assist you.

I am sorry to hear about the difficulties that you are experiencing with your daughters father.

Please may I ask:

- how regularly is her father letting her down?

- does she enjoy spending the time with her father?

- are there any child protection concerns in respect of the father? is his age an issue?

- what are the times he has your daughter during the week? and every other weekend?

In respect of child maintenance - is the father working? does he have any assets?

kind regards


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have recently moved from wrexham to be closer to him as he was complaining of not seeing her we have been over in Yorkshire 9 week about 4 week ago he never contacted amelia or even turned up for her on the days agreed his excuse being he has his son!! Then last week he never had her on the tues due to work commitments he's self employed so his hours are what he wants to do amelia says she likes her time with her daddy but she does cry saying she is missing me I wouldn't like to say there is any issues his age is 50 51 in December during the week he has her 430-6pm tues and thurs then the weekend is 6pm pick up Friday till sun 3pm his a self employed plumber but he does do other work joinery anything really handyman type I know he has done house renovations as for assets that part of his life he keeps very private so I don't know


Thank you for your response.

It is a real shame that his commitment seems to be lacking in respect of your daughter - especially since you have take the step of moving closer.

My concern is that there is no court order that can be made to make him a better father. What I mean by that is - that even if there was a court order saying that he should spend time with your daughter on particular days and times - there would be no sanction for him if he didn't comply.

With the above being said - it is still so very important that your daughter has the stability of a routine of knowing when she is going to spend time with her father. It will affect her emotionally and she will feel let down if she is expecting him and he doesn't show up.

It is worth expressing this to him. Ask him to clarify what he can commit too and if he continues not to attend - then he will have to prove his commitment before he can spend time with her again - to prove he is committed

I would suggest that you consider referring your case to family mediation. There are lots of family mediation services and there will be one local to you. If you google family mediation in your area and then you can give them a call to self refer and get the ball rolling.

Mediation will help you both try and talk through the issues, including the issue about his lack of accommodation and come up with a plan that is best for your daughter.

In respect of maintenance - if he is not paying regularly - then I suggest that you make a claim to the Child Maintenance Service. They will be able to calculate what he is due to pay and collect the payments from him if he continues to be difficult.

Let me know if I can help you further.

kind regards


Please kindly remember to star rate our service so that we receive credit for helping you today

ukfamilysolicitor and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you