How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I own a property as tenants in common with my ex partner,

This answer was rated:

I own a property as tenants in common with my ex partner, the house was purchased by me 16 years ago so my Son could live with his mother, it was subject to a Deed of Trust which allows me to sell the property once my son leaves full time education, which he has. I have given her 6 months notice in writing that I intend to sell. We had a meeting and she agreed to vacate the premises if I could give her until end July 2017. I agreed and then sent her a letter to sign confirming what we had agreed, asking for a response on or before 19th September. Nothing has come, even though I texted her to ask if she had signed it.
I want to now revert to the original 6 months notice as set out in the Deed of Trust. Can she prevent me from selling the house?

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-Are/were you married to each other?

-How old is your son?

-Who is now living in the property?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Harris and thank you.
Never been married to each-other
My son is 18 now and he has a full time job as a accountant apprentice, also he lives with me and has lived for the past three years
She lives in the property on her own and our son visits her on Wednesdays and Friday's

Thank you - she can refuse to agree to this and in those circumstances you would need to apply to court using form N1 and a £355 court fee to execute the deed and for the court to make an order for sale.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you