How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10984
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

My sister and I have an Lpa for our elderly brother. the

This answer was rated:

my sister and I have an Lpa for our elderly brother. the only money he has is in stocks and shares which are held with Barclays. can we sell these to enable us to get funds ready for when he goes into a home?
would he need to be involved,he has little or no interest in anything.
your help would be much appreciated

1. Dear *****, once you register the Lasting Power of Attorney, you can sell these stocks and shares to enable you to get funds so as to be ready for when your elderly brother goes into a home. So, if you have no registered the LPA you should do so immediately. However, once you have registered the LPA, you should send a copy of it with a covering letter to Barclays with instructions to sell however much of the stocks and shares you wish to have sold. This will then enable you to sell the stocks and shares and realise the funds you need.

2. Please Accept or Rate the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment for answering your question.

Buachaill and other Law Specialists are ready to help you