How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6408
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I want to know if I have a valid claim, I have been trading

Customer Question

Hi I want to know if I have a valid claim , I have been trading in futures and opened an account which I had been successfully funding on numerous occasions automatically from my Santander account. However in one occasion I needed to send money from my Santander account to my trading account as my funds were too low and was in danger of an open trade being automatically closed at a loss unless i added more funds this I attempted to do via my Santander account however at this point Santander systems asked me to change my password ***** no particular reason I tried several memorable passwords which the system stated I had already used subsequent ly on 3rd attempt it automatically shut down my account and said i would need to call for assistance by this time I had only minutes to fund my account and unfortunately the loss was automatically closed generatibg a loss of over £7000. Had I had ability to fund my account this would not have happened. I am seeking a claim from Santander due to the delays caused and this loss. I tried the ombudsman but they believe Santander were in their right to add security. My argument is that I had already been funding my account previously from Santander with no issues until at this critical point. Can I claim my loss from them do you think?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.