How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6725
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

My building society has a possession order for 17th October,

This answer was rated:

My building society has a possession order for 17th October, I have £6000 arrears & have made an offer which they have refused. The arrears arose because I had to move both my seriously ill parents in with me & it took forever to get a care package in place. My father is 85 & needs 24/7 care,my mother is 81 & has a serious heart condition. There is nowhere that I can move them to ,I have now had my house adapted for dads needs. Both are at risk & in danger of emergency hospital admissions. Can I apply to the court to have the order suspended,I can provide medical evidence to support my case.
Thank you,

Hello Sue my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

For now please let me know how much of the arrears you can pay?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You said you made an offer?
What is the offer and how long is left on your mortgage?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But I have offered £50 a month our monthly payment. I have a £135000 loan on a £35000 house.
I think there is 10 yrs left
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should say plus monthly payment & £350000 house

Ok, you can apply to suspend. But usually the Court will want to make sure that the arrears are discharge over a reasonable period.

£50 a month x 10 years (120) = £6,000. This is what is called the Norgan minimum.

But the Court would usually want to make sure the arrears are cleared over 3 years.

So you can apply to suspend the warrant, yes you can do this using form N244:

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No thankyou

If this answers your question could I invite you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site doesn’t pay me for the time spent with you. Thanks in advance!

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you