How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6447
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

Ex-landlady expects me to pay from my deposit for flea

This answer was rated:

Ex-landlady expects me to pay from my deposit for flea treatment in the property, which I have agreed to because of my cat. But also for professional clean of property and removal of a carpet after treatment, both of which the pest control company told me are unnecessary

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Why was cleaning needed please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cleaning for cat hair and her allergies caused by my pet. I have agreed to pay fir flea treatment and the cleaning but think it's totally absurd that she expects me to pay for removal of the carpet as well after a treatment and clean have already been done

Is she saying it can't be cleaned in situ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She says a professional clean won't be enough and she'll have to take out the carpet. Surely a professional clean is sufficient enough?

I agree, nothing that a Rug Doctor won't sort out. I can't see how it needs taken out.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you