How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

It is legal for a wife to control her disabled husband's

Customer Question

It is legal for a wife to control her disabled husband's finances after separation?
The wife has ejected the husband from the family home and took control of everything without the benefit of LPA. He is now in a psychiatric unit (voluntarily) after attempting suicide. She will not have him back in the house and will not relinquish control of the finances. She does not work. All income follows the husband. He is too vulnerable to assert his rights and is afraid of her. He thinks she loves him. He is brain damaged (stroke survivor).
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am his sister. The wife has cut off all contact with his family. She didn't tell any of us that they had separated because she doesn't want anyone to know. She is refusing to go through any official channels.)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are in England.
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 1 year ago.

You need to contact the local authority and raise a" safeguarding" issue in respect of his finances.

Does he have a social worker?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michael,
This is all way beyond that. Are you able to answer my question about the legality of control after separation? i.e the couple do not live together. I need the specifics of the law on this matter.
Kind regards