How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34897
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Both my ex husband & I have joint custody of our son. I

Customer Question

Both my ex husband & I have joint custody of our son. I found out earlier that his girlfriend has been tutoring my son with his schooling, which I wasn't consulted with. I discussed last term school about getting a tutor for our son with help & we agreed to leave it until he started back to school this year. My son proceeded to tell me today that he goes to his dads girlfriend to get extra tuition on his English, something I was not informed or discussed with. So I text him asking him why he did not consult me, he proceeded to tell me to mind my own business & that I was standing in my sons way of progress. He says his partner has regular contact with my son & will continue. I have never stopped my son meeting his dads girlfriend but I do not agree she should be tutoring him without my consent as it should have been discussed as a joint decision. Do I have rights over this? Im very very peeved about it as my son has Autism & concerned about it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Dies his girlfriend have any qualifications to be a tutor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no idea, I think she might be a teacher of some sort but I'm not really sure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't want to be thought of as being petty as I would have gladly discussed this with them but I thought by law, joint custody, joint decision.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

There is nothing wrong on the face of it with your ex's girlfriend helping your son - especially if she is indeed a teacher

Yes your ex should have consulted you - it would after all be much better if you could consolidate any work that she does - which you cannot do

if you are not told

However whilst he should have consulted you this is not a good enough reason to stop the tutoring.

You should offer to discuss matters with him using Family Mediation to try and resolve such issues and ensure that your son's needs are properly dealt with

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details