How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35044
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

What legal routes can I take to get my 19yr old to move out

Customer Question

What legal routes can I take to get my 19yr old to move out of my house?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.

I assume he doesn't pay rent and has no interest in the ownership of the property. In which case he is simply someone you allow to stay on your house as a guest and has no legal status. You can ask him to leave (perhaps give him a little bit of notice although he is not legally entitled to it).

If he refuses to go you can simply change the locks when he is out.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a solicitor for more than 30 years.

To avoid your son using family law to cause problems you need to give him at least 28 days written notice to leave before you change the locks - otherwise he can obtain an Order allowing him back in temporarily and that is not something you wish to risk

Please ask if you need further details