How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6722
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

Very strange one this. I arranged to buy a car from a

This answer was rated:

Hi, very strange one this. I arranged to buy a car from a dealership and they met me in a different town to arrange the handover as i lived quite far from the dealership.
I arranged the bank trasnfer for the balance of the car of approx £9,500 for the day of the handover. The deal was done and i returned home and now 6 days on they are telling me that the balance was never received. I have checked and they are correct for some reason it never went though but they have of course trasnferred ownership of the car to myself.
There were issues in the handover for which i wanted compensation which they would not agree to. I wish to deduct a fee off of this amount before paying. Can i do this? Do i have to pay them at all after all they have been daft enough to release a car without payment??

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Jut to be clear, the transfer didnt go through and you now dont want to pay for the car to teach them a lesson?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Seems a harsh way to put it but yes. I need to know what i am legally obliged to do rather than ethically obliged!

Yes you are. There is a contract between you and them. If you do not pay they could do one of two things:

1) Go to the Police

2) Issue a County Court claim

If they issue a county court claim for the sums then they can also seek interest at 8% under S.69 of the County Courts Act 1984. If you deduct a fee, then again they could pursue you for the balance.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Jamie-Law and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you