How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71053
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I am 58 years old & live on benefits due to ongoing mental

This answer was rated:

I am 58 years old & live on benefits due to ongoing mental health issues. I have a drawdown account to accommodate my previous employment pensions !
How does this impact on my eligibility for benefits ??

HOw much did you have and what are you claiming?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I receive ESA, Pip & housing/council tax benefits.
I have approximately £90K Held in a pension drawdown account for my retirement.

Ok. Thanks. Sorry for the delay.

You have declared this I suppose?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Declared it to whom ? My IFA assured me that the drawdown account doesn't constitute savings as required to declare to benefit agencies.
Is that not the case ?

Does that mean you haven't told them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I haven't !

That is a problem I'm afraid.

They are entitled to be told about funds you have in a pension acount. Some of your benefits would not have been affected but some would and they are entitled to assess them.

ESA certainly is means tested. So is housing and council tax benefits. PIP is more arguable.

I'm very sorry but that is your position.

This very definitely does constitute savings.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you