How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50165
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I paid a guy by the name of ltd to transport some household

This answer was rated:

I paid a guy by the name of ***** ***** ltd to transport some household goods from the UK to Turkey for me. I paid £ 1000,00 and than everything disappeared. After a while I found out that he had not paid his subcontractor Mr. Bozdag, and this contractor was holding his goods. I believe that Mr Smith had no grounds not to pay, in effect I had to pay the driver myself again to have the goods delivered.
I want to file charges against ***** *****, which is an alias for David William Gordon, as he is living under a false name, failing to comply and fraud.
And of course I want my money back that he is holding for no reason at all.
Please advice.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
let me know

Hi there. Apologies for the slight delay. Do you have an address for Mr Smith/Gordon? Also, did he offer the service as a business or as a private individual?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do
He is presenting himself as '***** *****' but it is also the name of his registered company in the UK. However, his real name is********** *****ving in Bulgaria (:
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just sent you two pictures of files I drew from Internet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has effected some 20 people at his moment who are all in trouble because of this man. He has not paid and holding the money now although everybody have to pay his drive to get the goods. The problem was that he only had a contract wiytn this man to his warehouse in istanbul after which he would retrieve it an deliver to his customers here in Turkey. Since he did not show, not pay and not contact, the driver decided in good faith to bring the goods directly to the customers himself but of course wanted to get paid.
The relevance of the goods is high, some of very emotional value, the true value of course was low, as in my case
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry for my fast writing and mistakes, I did not check)

No problem at all and thank you for your response and attachments. Please leave it with me. I am in court today so will prepare my advice during the day and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, thanks, ***** ***** wait for your answer.

Thank you for your patience. It is unlikely that this would be considered a criminal natter r dealt with by the police o whilst there is nothing stopping you from reporting this to them, be prepared to be told it is a civil matter. In that case you would have to consider the legal route in order to try and get any money or items back from him. The company is registered in the UK which is good and whilst that is the case it does appear to be a rather new company registered only 6 months ago and who knows that assets or money they have. So it could be that you make a claim against them only to find out they have nothing or just go bankrupt and cannot satisfy any debts they have with you. In that case you could consider pursuing the individual if he was involved in fraud and these actions resulted in the company having no money or being able to pay you or its debtors. Either way you will have to go through the small claims court for this as that is the venue where you must pursue civil disputes like this one.

This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the exact steps you must follow to take this further, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But acting under a false name and pretending to be someone else is a criminal offence right? He seems to have money, as he is dealing with transports and selling goods to Bulgaria a lot.Can I proceed in small court by internet?

if you dealt with a company then the fact that the company is not named after him would not matter. So ***** ***** Ltd is the entity against which you would have a claim, assuming it is that who you contracted with. You can indeed proceed with a small claims court claim online, I can discuss the steps you need to follow, if you could please leave your rating then I can continue, many thanks

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did rate you already from the email, it did not get through.
And ok, yes I did work with an entity but, he is and was presenting himself also as a person ***** *****, so that than is a different matter. i will go online to the small claims court and see where it leads to. I am a bit busy so answering quick is not always easy.

no problem at all and thanks for taking the time to respond

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ben, Is there a way I can contact you other than here? I have a list of people now that have been taken money from / or not delivered goods to which adds up to quite a bit of money. We nee to go after this guy and get him to pay back and bring the belongings and I need someone to represent us.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my email address is***@******.***

Hi there, sadly I am not allowed to work with customer on here outside of this site - my input is limited to a Q&A service on here - these are the terms I work under here unfortunately

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ben,
I have been talking to the driver, the one who was transporting the goods for 'Jim'. He had an agreement with him from his (the drivers) warehouse in Istanbul to his warehouse in the UK vice versa. Now 'Jim' is not collecting the goods from there and not paying him. The question is: Legally, is he holding the goods now for ransom or is he entitled to keep the goods in his warehouse until collection and payment has been done by ***** *****??

Hello, thanks for getting back to me. Unfortunately your question has expired as you must post any follow up queries within 7 days of the date of the original question. If you need any further help on this subject please post it as a new question on our site - you may start it with 'for Ben Jones' so that I get it and deal with it as fast as I can. Many thanks