How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6733
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

We have been renti g out home for 27 years and have done

This answer was rated:

We have been renti g out home for 27 years and have done lots of work to the property over that time. Including rewiring it and putting in central heating which we have paid for ourselves. Put property was owned by the Lord of the manor and we did the work willingly and in return we got the rent cheaper. The Lord has now died and the estate is in trust. When we flat took on the house it was a 2 bedrooms cottage and we did the work to make it into a 3 bed to suit own growing family. It was always agreed that when they flew the best we could put it bsck to a 2 bed. But now the trustees say we can't because it will reduce future rental. As the house we sign the contract for was originally a 2 bed do we have the right to say we are just returning it back to the original. Please help I want to know where I stand legally. Thanks Helen

Hello Helen my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Does your tenancy agreement say you can't make aleternations without permission please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does but we had permission because they actually put in a new window so that the new bedroom had a window. We had a verbal agreement it would go back to a 2 bed on the end

but nothing in writing to that effect? I assume the only person that gave you this is now dead?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
both of them but the new manager of the estate knew about it and has told them
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is still alive

so he agrees you could do that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He had confirmed with the trustee manager that that was the agreement when the changes were originally made. As he was working a a builder for the estate at the time

ok then in that case they are in breach of contract. There was an express agreement that after the improvement you could change it back. They have refused.

This change forms part of the contract. You should write and set out your position, saying you had agreement and that they are in breach.

You want to give them two weeks to consider this then you will go to court if they refuse.

If that does not work get a solicitor to write and say the same thing. If that does not work then you can go to court and seek a court order giving permission.

Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No that is what I thought thanks for the clarification I now have the ammunition I need to go into battle. Thanks for the help

If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. Thank you in advance and good luck!

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you