How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6408
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I currently rent a property which the landlords have

This answer was rated:

I currently rent a property which the landlords have selective licensing.the landlords are currently doing work which the council have fined them once before for as it wasnt up too standard my deposit has only just been put in a deposit scheme also i have been at this property for 6 years and been advised too go too court i just wanted too know what i should do .

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What type of tenancy do you have and was it ever renewed please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its a shorthold tenancy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
was renewed last year also this year i havent signed this years yet

You need to write and set out your losses and request refund of x3 the deposit within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure what you mean by clarify are you a solictor from the uk

yes. The site is based in the USA but I (along with my colleagues) are all uk solicitors and barristers.

Does that clairfy?

When I say clarify, I mean does that answer your question and do you need me to be clearer on anything

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh i see im just worried if i do they i will be asked too leave straight away can they do that?

If you have not signed a new agreement, yes they can give you two months notice. If you sign a new agreement then no, they have to wait until it expires.

Does that clairfy?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see the council have told me not too sign as i would be bound by its terms 12 month tenancy

you would but you still have the express agreement. As it stands they can give you two months notice to leave.

If you sign a new agreement that locks them in.

Does that clairfy?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if i signed a lease would i have too give them notice especially if it went too court

Yes. That's correct.

Does that help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it could only go too court if i signed a lease?

Yes because they could just give you two months notice to leave and at that point you would be stuck. This is because you are out of your agreement.

Does that clairfy?

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ahh ok thankyou for your help