How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6795
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I recently had to complain about the service of an

This answer was rated:

Hi I recently had to complain about the service of an 'Electrical Appliance Repair' company who's service was poor and they attired to sell me an unrelated component. I wrote to the only Company Director at the registered company address and my letter was 'Signed For.' My letter was signed for but has been returned with the addressed ruled through and marked RTS. How can I:
a. Communicate with a Company who do not open signed for mail?
b. Complain about their illegal attempt to up-sell an unrelated component?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is it you want to achieve?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like this Company to return the call out fee for the original fault and to stop them from their very dodgy methods for ripping members of the public off.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

You should also report this to Trading Standards. Whilst a single complaint may not resolve the issue, if everyone who has been ripped off complains then they could be closed down and prosecuted.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have written to them by Signed For mail and they have returned the letter unopened! See original question!

yes I saw that and it was returned to sender. I suggest sending this regular mail. So not recorded delivery.

You can get proof of posting from the posit office at no charge.

But you need to warn of court action before you take it.

Does that clarify?

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sending a normal letter !? They will surely just deny receiving it. If they are willing to sign for a letter and send it back unopened, what chance them opening a normal letter and taking note of the contents. Also, I have reported this to Reading Trading Standards, apparently these issues now go through Citizens Advice.

You can issue a claim. It's just a warning. If they then don't open the court claim you can get judgment in default and enforce it.

So send a letter normal post then issue a claim form if no reply.

At least that way you can seek to get your money back with a court judgment.

Does that clarify?

You have rated POOR SERVICE, despite me giving you the legal answer.

What else do you want to know?