How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10239
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

I have a problem with one of my house mates. He came with

Customer Question

My name is***** and I have a problem with one of my house mates. He came with his sister and threaten me in the house. I have let the landlord know but they did nothing about it. The threats has continue and I contacted the landlord and no respond at all. I text her every time he has threaten me and no one respond to any of my massages. This as causing me lots of stress, I am not eating or sleeping, having panic attacks, my marriage is falling apart because of all the stress he is causing us and we end up arguing. We are trying for a baby and this is not helping had terrible pain in my stomach and heavy bleeding. I have contacted the gas safety engineer and asked if he knows where the landlord is as he not responding to my msgs. He took the matter in his hand and contacted the agent from who my landlord took the property. They are subletting. So guess what? Soon as the agent contact them they respond to me. They told me lies that they are abroad and they didnt see my msgs but soon as the agent contact them suddenly the msgs came through. They told me we will have a chit chat when they come back. I wrote her email, they need to take actions chit chat wont help the situation. People start to look to move because it has affecting them and he has bad behaviour towards everybody. This is just an idea but is more to it. What can I do? Whats my rights in this case?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

What is the nature of the threats?

Have you been to the police? If not, why not?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Because the police has been to this address before and didnt want to create problems for the landlord and so far they been nice people to me dont know what has happened now for them not to take actions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Me and my landlord and an agreement, she gave me letter for me and my boyfriend and council tax letter for me and my boyfriend to be able to get married as we need it prove of address. But the house mate got jealous that we are happy and start the threats that he will call the police and council because he was jealous he is living here but he doesnt know the agreement between me and the landlord as is not business what I do I my privacy. We will see what will happen with us thats his threat. So I was protecting the landlord as she helped me but I have care for my life and my husband and take actions as the landlord is not responding. I wanted to call the police and I have told her so but friends has advice me that police wont get involved in a dispute between tenants so I didnt call.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
another reason I didnt call police as I dont want to affect my application to the home office for a resident card. I am good kind loving citizen been in this country nearly 10 years I have never had a problem with any human being. I believe in karma so I give out good to be able to get it back. I respond to hate with love but sometimes needs to be taken proper action in some cases.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

If you are being harassed, then it’s a police matter.

There is no magic solution to make the housemate stop threatening you.

It will not affect any application that you make for a Visa or residence.

The person is threatening to go to the police, you need to get to the police first. Tell the person that unless this stops, you have been advised to go to the police yourself with a view to getting them warned under the Protection from Harassment Act.

You can of course apply to court for a civil injunction to stop this or you could at least get a solicitor to threaten an application to court for a civil injunction but that is going to cost you money and there is no need to spend the money when the police will do this for you at no cost.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Please rate the service positive. It’s how we get paid.

The thread remains open.

Best wishes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could I make a claim against this house mate for causing me moral and emotional damages, not sure exactly how is called. I been stressed out, didnt eat, sleep, having panic attacks, my marriage is falling apart as we both in stress because of this guy and we argue between us, we trying for a baby and this is not helping us so I had to go back on the pill not to have a miscarriage that will devastate me and is affecting my work performance as is very physical I am lost dont know where I go or what I do as my mind is messed up not thinking right and I can lose my job. This person has been living at this address for a year I think and never had one letter coming on his name so has something to hide as well and the landlord never introduce us with the full name so we might be living with a criminal. Not sure she took all the details just wanted the money.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

You can only take action against the housemates of the housemate has also been harassing you.