How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I am the owner of a unit in Nailsea. Nearly seven years ago

Customer Question

I am the owner of a unit in Nailsea. Nearly seven years ago the unit was empty. I was approached by a man who wanted to rent the unit from me. We agreed a rent of £5,000 per annum, payable three months in advance. Most of the quarters until recently I received his rental payment late. I offered him a contract at the onset of his occupancy which he altered and returned to me. I accommodated him by changing the things he asked for. I returned it to him for him to sign and he returned it back to me with further alterations which I was not prepared to make. He therefore has never signed any contract with me.
Prior to the start of this year, I decided to increase his rental to £6,000 per year. He has refused to pay the increase stating that he doesn't think the unit is good enough to warrant it. Stating that he owns and lets out property himself but they are all superior to my unit. Upon taking posession of the unit he demolished three offices and part of a wall which made one office separate from the rest. He is now using this as part of his office. Upon his refusal to pay my imposed increase, I sent him a letter detailing that when he leaves the building he must make good the offices which he demolished. He said in his letter that he had had permission to do the demolition work and that had he not done it the building did not suit his purpose. Where do I stand from here?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is it you want to achieve please?