How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35057
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Can I take out a Court Order to prevent 18 year old child

This answer was rated:

Can I take out a Court Order to prevent 18 year old child cashing in an ISA (I took out Junior Isa for said Child and money saved was mine)? I want to delay for several years.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

For clarity - the Account is held in the Child's sole name?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Child is estranged from family, left home at 16, no contact but is now trying to take out money from Isa since turning 18 yrs on 23 Sept.

I am sorry but if you read the terms and Conditions of the account you will see that the money in fact belongs to the Child when they turn 18.

There is no Court Order that you can take out to prevent him benefiting as originally planned

I am sorry

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** as I thought. It is a heartbreaking situation as the monies will be used to fund her lifestyle and not for University as I had planned for.
Is there anything else you can suggest even to help delay the inevitable by a couple of months?

I understand your distress - 18 is not the right age to have such funds.

Other than dragging your feet in terms of providing paperwork etc there is no other option I am afraid

Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your advice.

You are welcome - I wish I could have been more positive