How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12081
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Myself and my family are Scottish. We are living and working

Customer Question

Myself and my family are Scottish . We are living and working in Bermuda . This year when my eldest daughter finished high school she had to leave the country under immigration laws . She returned to Scotland where she is continuing her education . She is living with her granparents . The college are refusing funding for her education because they say say she has been out of the country for over 12 years and because they say her Gran is not her legal guardian . She was born in Scotland , holds a British Passport and we have owned a house in Scotland and paid all our Council taxes ect ect .
Where do we stand ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland. The issue is that of residence. Your daughter doesn't meet the residence requirements. She has to have been ordinarily resident in the U.K. For three years prior to the course starting and ordinarily resident in Scotland on that day too, ordinarily resident not just being that she has come to Scotland for education and that she would otherwise have been living outwith Scotland. You can read about this in detail here: I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.