How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12176
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Scots' Law Personal Injury What is the difference between

This answer was rated:

Scots' Law
Personal InjuryWhat is the difference between the Sherrif Court and the All Edinburgh PI court?I am raising a initial writ and stay near Edinburgh. Writ is for over 5k. Should I use form PI1 or G1 for a certain court?Please advise which form applies and which court, thanks.

The all Scotland personal injury court gives you the option of applying for a jury trial. That is the main difference. If your case isn't serious enough for a jury trial you should just raise it in your local sheriff court using the general forms. I would caveat that by saying that in either situation you would be unwise to raise a personal injury action without a solicitor if you are not experienced in civil litigation. You will not win unless you are acquainted with the practices and procedures involved. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks. just to check, will there be a sheriff court for Edinburgh then? As well as the all Scotland one
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the advice seems to be we should have a solicitor. We are just starting. And start with hope they may reach a compromise firstly before court. But we need to know what we would do in medium term and have as a basis a real writ in mind.