How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35043
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

We have a buy to let property that we let to my parents, we

This answer was rated:

We have a buy to let property that we let to my parents, we have just discovered that you shouldn't let to people you know and we want to check that this doesn't invalidate the buildings insurance

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.

is it a condition of your mortgage that you do not let to family members?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have just found a paragraph in the small print that mentions this, it does say we can ask permission but it isn't always granted, our concern is if they say no my elderly parents would have to move

Do you do your Buildings Insurance via the mortgage company?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No we don't, it is a separate policy and company

Do your parents actually pay rent?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they do, and we did a rental agreement which we have all signed

In that case you have no need for concern.

Yes you are technically in breach of the Mortgage Conditions but this would not justify the calling in of the mortgage - and does not invalidate the Insurance you have with the Insurance Company.

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks very much Clare, I would like to let the mortgage company know but my parents are elderly and if the mortgage company said no, I would feel terrible having to ask them to move, but I will give it some more thought, thank you again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I check please Clare, are you a UK solicitor? Thanks

I am a solicitor in the East Midlands!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just thought I would check, I wasn't sure and if you were in another country I thought the law might be different!, have you had any experience of asking mortgage lenders permission to allow a relative to occupy the property? Thanks

I would expect the Mortgage company to agree given the fact that you have a proper contract and payments have been made - but it is not the end of the world if you leave it for now.

Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again Clare, that's very reassuring.