How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I have recently moved to a 2 bedroom rented house with my

This answer was rated:

i have recently moved to a 2 bedroom rented house with my partner ( not married )i have 2 young children that stay with me on weekends . My partner has decided she wants to end her relationship with me but wants to continue living at the property and is insisting on having the bedroom i have shared with her as her own space leaving me with the only option of sleeping in my childrens room or on futon in the lounge . We are joint tennants and i have paid a full years rent in advance plus deposit and agency fees my partner has not financially contributed as yet although we have an agreement (although not documented) that over the year she would repay me £400 a month towards the rent . I feel this situation is unfair . If she wants to end the relationship i am in acceptance of this but would rather she found alternative accomadation or at least agrees to pay a higher share of the rent and see if we can live together as house sharers . At the time we moved in together she was being evicted from the property she was living in and feel she has taken advantage of the situation . I just wanted to know if having paid the full rent for a year myself i have any legal rights regarding asking her to make alternative arrangements for her own accomadation . I would be greatful for any advice you can give me .
kind regards
Matt sealy

Hi, thank you for your question. Unfortunately, as you are joint tenants you are both entitled to occupy the property and given that you have already paid the rent, there will be no automatic liability for her to make any contributions. However, as there appears to have been agreement for her to make some contributions you should formally and in writing remind her of her obligation under your agreement regarding contributions and if she continues to fail to contribute you can put her on notice that you will seek a money claim to court for her share of the contributions.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you