How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

Dear Sirs, Due to my divorce, my £1.5 M property was put on

This answer was rated:

Dear Sirs,
Due to my divorce, my £1.5 M property was put on the market end 2011. It was fully refurbished in 2010, and was in tip top shape, and very beautiful indeed. My divorce became final in the late summer of 2012, and within the settlement it was ruled that my ex husband had to pay maintenance to said property. He moved into a property of his own and I still live here with my children. The property was put on the market with Knight Frank. When they took on the job, professional, £4000 photos were taken, showing all the beautiful details of the courtyard, garden, drive and interior. The property is of such a size that realistically, it needs gardeners and a cleaning crew and, as with every property, it needs a lick of paint every so many years. Now the courtyard and the garden is completely overgrown, paint is flaking off the outside woodwork, and the interior looks tired and worn, due to my ex husband's neglect to maintain the property. Part of the divorce settlement is that he only pays the mortgage and utilities on the house and, only after the sale of the house, will he have to pay me spousal maintenance. Due to the long, arduous divorce, I was left penniless, and I live off state benefits, and are therefor not in financial means of paying for the upkeep of the property. Before every viewing I clean the place from top to bottom, but only a few low ball offers have been made so far, which my ex husband has declined. My solicitor advised me to hire 2 or 3 more estate agents, which my ex husband declined also, and he is the one in control of all financial affairs, concerning the house. He has lowered the price of the property twice, and the property is currently on the market for £1.375 m. There have never been any complaints made against the cleanliness, but the decay is now, in my opinion, clearly visible.
Now my question; the estate agent came up with the idea to introduce a reporter for a housing magazine. He/ she is going to make pictures of both the property and myself, and writes an article about the history and refurbishment. I declined, due to the state of the property. In my opinion, the new pictures of the currant state of the property would be detrimental rather than beneficial for the sale of the house. Through my daughter I larned that my ex husband has agreed to invite the reporter into the property I live in. He has not told me this is going to happen in person, nor has he invited gardeners and interior decorators to get the property ready for new photographs. This event is supposed to happen on the 10th of October. Can I refuse entrance to the reporter? I am aware I can not refuse him entry, as he is co-owner, but I feel strongly against non potential buyers traipsing through my bedroom etc.
Am I within my right to refuse entry?
Kind regards,
Ms L Claassens

Hi, thank you for your question. Are you able to attach the final court approved order regarding the financial settlement? You can do so using the paperclip icon.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear Harris,Thank you for your swift reply. I herewith attach the closest thing I could find to my official settlement. I hope this is enough for you to work with. If not, please let me know and I will try to find the full original documents.Kind regards,Linda Claassens

Apologies for the delay in replying. I have now considered the order. I refer you to paragraph 2(a) in which it specifies that both of you are to agree to an estate agent marketing the property, and if you cannot agree for the court to direct which agent is to market the property. Therefore if you do not agree with the current agent and the proposal they are making in marketing the property you have a right to refuse and apply to court for the court to decide on the agent to market the property.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you