How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10506
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

I have a son who is 35. He lives separately, and is now

This answer was rated:

I have a son who is 35. He lives separately, and is now asking me to legally separate from me - he wants to have a legal document that he is no longer considered my son and I will not be considered his mother. Obviously I can not write all the details in one message. I am looking for advise and assistance. Thank you. Slava

Unfortunately, (or fortunately, depending on which side of the fence you sit) it is not possible for parents to “divorce” themselves from their children nor is it possible for children to “divorce” themselves from their parents.

If children are under 18, obviously, parents can put children up for adoption but after 18, they remain children and parents for ever.

Unfortunately for your son, is now stuck with you. He can demand what he likes, and even if you wanted to do something about it, there is nothing that you can do.

All he can do and all you can do is sever all contact.

Please rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

We can still exchange emails after rating.

Best wishes.


F E Smith and other Law Specialists are ready to help you