How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10398
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

I'm from India, I had an agreement with a person from UK,

This answer was rated:

I'm from India , I had an agreement with a person from UK , now after making the payment he is not responding properly and doesn't care to fulfill the agreement terms . Can i file a case in UK Small claims court ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

If you are still in India, would you be able to come to the UK for any court hearing?

Can you please tell us the amount of money in issue here? Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No i wont be able to visit UK for court hearing , $4500 USD to be exact .Can i file it online , or this option is only for UK citizens ? ,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the deal was done online through skype & emails

There is nothing to stop you issuing Small Claims Court proceedings but in the Small Claims Court, you would not recover solicitors costs even if you win.

If you didn’t attend any eventual court hearing, then your claim would be thrown out.

The cost of getting solicitors to attend the court hearing is probably going to be about £2000-£3000 which you would not recover and hence, is going to be more than you are claiming.

Hence, in order to get the money back, unless you are in the United Kingdom, it’s not going to be an option.

I’m sorry, I wish I could give you a more favourable answer.

Incidentally, there is nothing to stop you transferring (assigning) the debt to someone who is in the UK and they could then issue Small Claims Court proceedings because the debt would then belong to them

Please rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

We can still exchange emails after rating.

Best wishes.


F E Smith and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well got the answer , i thought everything can be done online , just need to pay just courtfeeslooks like $4.5k lost .Thanks for your help

You can issue the proceedings online it’s just that would need to attend the court hearing to put your case to the judge and if you’re not able to do that, then you would lose on the day in court. Sorry.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what about these debit collectors ? this work ?

You can try them but if they don’t collect, they are not solicitors and therefore they cannot issue court proceedings. That has to be done by a solicitor.