How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71135
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I got attacked by five men on a night out. They surrounded

This answer was rated:

I got attacked by five men on a night out. They surrounded me and threatened me and my girlfriend. As they came in to my personal space I punched one first. I was then dragged to the ground and kicked until they ran away. I'm on a suspended sentence and worried I will get in trouble if I report this to the police as I threw the first punch, but in my opinion it's self defence, am I right in thinking this? Please help.

hello i can help you with this matter. do you know who the five men?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no they were strangers

Ok Why do you want to report this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was badly injured in the attack and need surgery on my face. I need a crime number/reference from the police so I can claim compensation for the time I'm off work, but if the police don't see it as self defence as I did throw the first punch then I could end up going to prison.

I see.

I think you are taking a risk. There is no way around it.

There is a defence of pre-emptive strike self defence but it is very hard to run. The reality is that you are probably right. The police may well take the view that this is just a simple first blow assault.

If you are on a suspended then it is a risk. I wouldn't recommend reporting it to be wholly honest.

If you are intent upon reporting it then you can only tell the truth but you should understand you are taking a risk.

I suppose if these people are found it is fair to say that they have committed an offence as well as they went over the top in the course of defending themselves even if the view is taken that you were the initial aggressor.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you know of any other way I can get help or compensation with out reporting it to the police, I have all my doctors and surgeons notes as evidence of the incident.

Well, you wouldn't get compensation even if you did report it.

Reports to the police do not secure compensation.

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you