How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6454
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

We had a previous tenant who caused over £14,000 of damage

This answer was rated:

Hi we had a previous tenant who caused over £14,000 of damage to our flat before doing a runner, we caught up with her and went to court but kept it to below £10,000 to go to small claims to make it easier, we got a ccj against her and we had an order done so she had to go to court to prove what monies she has (she is on benefits) she has over £7,000 after all her monies have been taken into account, although the advice people that have been helping her have said that what was shown to the court was incorrect and she doesn't have enough money to pay more than £50 per month, which will take around 16 years for her to pay, she has started missing payments but we don't know what to do next as she is on benefits and has nothing worth any money, what do you suggest? thank you.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Does she own any other assets please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No she doesn't have any assets, thanks

You have several options:

1) Report it to the Police for criminal damage

2) Send in bailiffs

3) Charge on any property she owns (unlikely)

4) Make her bankrupt (over £5000 debt)

5) Freeze bank account

Sadly these are the only options. The reality is though if she doesnt have any assets you have a paper Judgment and that is it. You can't get blood out of a stone.

If the circumstances change then you can review the decision, but as it stands there is not much you can do.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you