How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6754
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I purchased (as company with a personal guarantee) a piece

This answer was rated:

I purchased (as company with a personal guarantee) a piece equipment for the factory. The company has now ceased trading. Am I entitled to hand the equipment back as it was under a HP agreement if I have paid half of the outstanding balance, without any further liability?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Is this agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. It specifically says at the top of the agreement that it is not.

When did you sign for this and how much was the finance?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Signed on the 2nd November 2015, with the agreement total £17,940 with with £14,950 remaining.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was also told by the company (reseller) who I bought the machine from that it would cost about £1,000 to fit the machine but has already cost me £1400 plus another £2200 plus vat on the way.

If its a business agreement then you wont have protection under the CCA. This means you can not cancel the agreement as you have paid half as it is a non regulated agreement.

However if they have ceased trading this is an asset of the company. They can claim it back - they may have appointed a liquidator. If not then you can just give it back.

But legally they are not obliged to accept it, as its a non regulated agreement.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, you've been really helpful. Thank you.

If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. Thank you in advance and good luck!

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you