How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50202
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I had dental work including dental implants in 2009 at a

This answer was rated:

I had dental work including dental implants in 2009 at a cost of 12,000 pound I am having problems with my teeth, I went to an implant specialist ( not the dentist who did the work as he has moved on)who told me that the work is not of proper standard, and the whole thing will have to be redone. I.e. I
Plants in wrong position, can't get my gums cleaned properly resulting in inflamed gums. What are my rights? Can I take this dentist to court? Am I entitled to a refund.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

How long after having the implants placed did you begin to experience problems?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The past year I had to have three teeth removed at sides if my mouth which resulted in a partial dental plate. The dentist who fixed around weak teeth shouldn't have the specialist I'm seeing now informed me.

OK, thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not responded to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Many thanks for your patience. You could have a potential case for professional negligence here, because the standard of work appears to have fallen below that expected of a reasonable professional in their position.

The main issue here is that a professional negligence claim becomes time barred six years after breach of contract or actual damage resulting from a negligent act occurs. It means that a claim must be made within that time or you would be too late to take this any further.

Whilst you had the work done in 2009, it does not automatically mean the time would start to run from then. You could argue that it should start to run from the date you became aware that there had been an issue with the work. So if this was within the last 6 years then you should still be in time to claim and take this further to seek compensation for the repair costs – you may not get a refund for the full amount but an amount to get the issues repaired.

This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the options you have on taking this further, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you. You may wish to see a solicitor to get some help with taking this further. If you wanted to go at it alone then you need to take this to the county court, The procedure can be found here:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All the work on my upper jaw needs redone, I got an estimate for 13,000 pound to make it right. I have already spent 12,000 on work I was told would last 10/ 15 years. That wasn't satisfactory, so why should I not be entitled to a full refund just wondering. It's a lot of money and I don't think I can afford to get the work all redone from my own finances again as it's just too much money for me which I cannot afford.

well if the remedial work is going to cost more than the initial work then you can ask for the full amount back, My initial response was on the basis that corrective work may be less than what you had originally paid

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Ben for your help/advice, much appreciated. Sarah.

you are welcome, best of luck