How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71158
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

We ( my wife family and I ) went to a birthday party in a

This answer was rated:

We ( my wife family and I ) went to a birthday party in a cocktail bar in London.
now a month later my brother in laws, sons, wife has accused me of inappropriately touching her bottom.
( in a party of 30 plus people I do not even know what she looks like)
I have no recollection of this and I was in close proximity of my wife and family ( children 28 &25 ) all night.
i hold some very responsible positions in business and society and this accusation is very damaging to me within the family as it has come up the chain from, brother in law via sister in law via my wife ( who is also adamant that I would not knowingly do such a thing)
I feel strongly that this girl should either accuse me formally or apologize
your view appreciated

hello i can help you. has she involved the police?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No not as far as I know; the first thing I knew about this was when my sister in law ( who has known me 32 years and is very embarrassed ) told my wife last night. Party was on 10th Sept BTWStuart
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry I cannot talk this morningStuart
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is it possible to continue with a written conversation please ?Stuart

Yes, of course.

I'm not sure what your question is about this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
JoOk my question revolves around my last point in my original e mail above, copied below.'I feel strongly that this girl should either accuse me formally or apologize'I am of the opinion that what she has said is deformation of my character and has no basis whatsoever.thanks for your opinionsStuart

Yes, so what is your question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what should I do next in order to move this forward ? i.e. gain an apology.can i get a yourself/solicitor to write to her on my behalf ?Stuart

This is a question and answer site. We cannot act for you. I can give you general information upon your position though.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
pleasetell me my legal position as to what i can do pleaseStuart

Clearly an allegation of this kind is defamatory. Generally speaking, actually I do think that the best means of defence is to defend aggressively and make these accusers liable for their ridiculous allegations. Of course you do run the risk of them going to the police to save face but then that could happen anyway.

You could get a solicitor to write to her warning her of the laws of defamation for about £100 plus VAT. That usually does cause people to desist.

If that fails though then suing is very expensive and probably she won't have the money to pay any award so that is to be avoided.

Usually the letter alone is adequate though. I do think it would be a good idea. The truth is that most women accept without complaint that unwelcome approaches will happen sometimes. Only a small minority of women make wild allegations and they need to be held to account.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jothank you for your answer, actually you have told me exactly what I was thinking anyway, but even so it is nice to have the opinion of an expert.I also know that there is no point in suing somebody with no money.Are you able to recommend a solicitor that could write/act for me, or would It be best to simply search local practices, is there a specific type of lawyer that I should be looking for ?Stuart

A barrister under public access would probably be cheaper actually. Try


Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jothank you for the advice, I will let you know how things proceed.regardsStuart