How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6429
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I am owed £184000 that I lent a family member on a verbal

Customer Question

I am owed £184000 that I lent a family member on a verbal agreement for them to pay me back. The money was to buy a property. This was in 2014, and since then I have not received a penny. This family member has a Satified CCJ on their records in 2012.
What can I do to get my money back?
Is there a good chance for me to get me money back? I have bank statement proof of the money leave my account.
How much would court processes cost for something like this?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this

Do they have any assets such as a home etc?

Do you have evidence of a bank transfer etc?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they own the property that they used my money to buy it with
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have proof of bank transfer to buy the property
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

If its not defended or you get a CCJ then you can get the debt secured against the property.
This makes the debt secure like a mortgage and indeed, you could enforce an order for sale. But it secures your debt and you get 8% interest under S,69 County Courts Act 1984.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How good of a chance will I get my money back?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How much work all this coat in court?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Usually around 5% of the value of the claim, which is added to the Judgment debt.

Yes I think you have an arguable case.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't understand the last paragraph of your email
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Yes I think you have a case.

Does that clarify?