How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6768
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

Sent a package to france using courier "DPD" through an

This answer was rated:

Sent a package to france using courier "DPD" through an agent "ParcelHero". Containing a new, still boxed, apple computer and phone costing about £2000 total. Courier has lost it. I took out cover for the £2000 so that will (eventually) be recovered.
Question: The computer equipment was being sent to a colleague for work so that she could undertake a work contract. Without the equipment She will be unable to continue and will have to default which will mean not just loss of earnings but probably penalties. We are just freelancers so cannot afford to buy a second batch of equipment.
Any suggestions of options welcome. Particulard whether I can claim against the agent for these secondary costs, and how.

Hello Dave my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Does the insurance allow you to claim actual value of the item or consequential loss as well?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't know. As it was their own offer I expect its the goods only
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You need to check the terms, to see whether it does allow a claim of that loss.

If you do then you have a claim.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it doesn't there are no options?

Sadly not because their terms for insurance about what they will/will not cover are clear.

You could only then go the Financial Ombudsman to consider a complaint under the insurance.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yup, thank you.

If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. Thank you in advance and good luck!

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you