How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6750
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I have been accused stolen some toner cartridges from work

This answer was rated:

Hi I have been accused stolen some toner cartridges from work roughly around £1500 worth. I'm a contractor and was working for a large financial company on that day. My managers have spoken to me twice as part of their investigation and have presented me with a lot of evidence against me including CCTV footage "my movements on site looks very dodgy" however I have not admited to anything as there's nothing on their evidence that shows me clearly taking the items in my hand placing it in my bag and walking out with it even though on camera they can see my bag empty when I come in and full when I leave... when asked about this I told them it was my personal stuff that I had left on site and was taking it home... I kind of just been going with the flow and not admiting to anything but they said that if they don't start getting some answers they will contact the police and let them deal with it.
It's first offence and I was very stupid for doing it as I've seen people doing it before and just thought I could get away with it. I asked them for more information to be clarified and know that it won't be 100% true because the system they use for the job is not 100% accurate.
I'm playing my luck here and have asked them quite a few times if I should just resign and save every body's time and money but their only answer is "you shouldn't because nothing has been proven nor decided and not all disciplinary has to end in dismissal". It's past the stage now that I can't just admit, I've just got to keep going and aswering accordingly tô evidences they keep coming up with.
Don't really know what to do?

Hello and thanks for asking for me.

What would you like to know about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What should I do and what am I looking to get in terms of sentence
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I just keep denying it even though their evidence is very strong
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For them to prove that I have taken the items do they have to show clear evidence of me holding the items and putting in my bag?

You may consider it better just to resign, but it's up to you. They can still call the police. But they may just consider this a misconduct matter.

If it's £1500 and you don't have any previous they may give a caution. But you will not go to prison for it.

I can't tell you what to do, whether you stay or go, that is only a personal decision. It's a private matter for you.

Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On their evidence it does not show me taking the items, putting in my bag and walking out of site with them even though they see me walking in and out of stockroom with boxes in my hand, is that enough to say that I done it?

They have to be satisfied on balance that it was you. Not beyond doubt as in a criminal court? But if there is a genuine and honest belief you did it, then that is enough for misconduct proceedings.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi one last question please.
Today I asked what would happen if I resigned and the answer from my manager was "If you resign I would think that would be the end of the matter but it would probably be seen as an admission of guilt".If it's seen as an admission of guilt can they call the police after I resign?
There's no way they are going to let me keep my job after this?

They can call the Police after yes. But that may well not happen
Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can we have a phone call discussion about this please just so I can clarify everything?

yes, but you need to click to accept the telephone call. I will offer this again for you.

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you