How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6764
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

Earlier this year I purchased premium fi 7k+, within 6

Customer Question

Earlier this year I purchased premium hi fi 7k+, within 6 months the equipment has developed an electrical fault which means it is unusable.
I would like replacement, the retailer has offered to help arrange a repair under warranty.
The problem with this is it will affect the trade in value of the equipment should I do so, plus I bought new equipment that is what I expect not refurbished.
Do I have to accept the repair or can I insist on replacement.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you

Just to be clear it's under 6 months old?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is under six months old.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Ok then under the consumer rights act 2015 you are entitled to a refund or replacement, that is your choice.

They can't make you have a repair. If they try to then you can reject the good and claim a refund.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?